Saturday, December 13, 2008

Glorious Namesake

Recently I met one of my old friends from school. We had the usual exchange of info as to who is doing what etc etc. When I asked him what he is doing nowadays, his reply was ,”Oh, I am into a very important job.”
“Oh, is it? What job?”
“I work as a senior graphical content representation editor for a reputed magazine.”
“What is this ‘graphical content representation editor’, I mean what work you have to do?”
“You see, I cut, paste, arrange and try my best to make the crap written by those paltry reporters viewable.”
“You mean, you edit the headline stories and news reports?”
“No, no, the lexical editing, I mean the content editing is done by the chief editor and his assistants. I make the articles sizeable, attach them with the photos and put them on a magazine size paper and make it print ready. Did you get that? Leave it. Log heads like you won’t get.”
Well, well, if he would have said it in a simple language that he is a cut and paste DTP artist with a news magazine, there won’t be any difficulty in actually getting what his profession is. But in a bid to make his profession look more important he stated it in the most audacious jargon.
Whatever work we do is important (atleast for the worker). But to make it further sophisticated, people like my friend adopt long nomenclatures for their profession. For instance, the grocery shopkeeper, just imagine, to follow the same track as my friend’s, starts calling himself as Consumable Disburse System Manager!!!! Ridiculous it might sound, but he is not lying about his profession. Similarly the sweeper as ‘garbage collector’(some java programmers might wake up from their slumber), the cook as ‘canteen officer’, the dhobi as ‘the launderer’, even the cobbler can be elevated to the status of ‘a surgeon unto mens’ shoes’!!
See, how the change in the nomenclature change the drudgery of the occupation and assuage the feeling of the deprived? As for me, since at present I am doing nothing, I can call myself as ‘the explorer of the oddities of life’.
What say?

14 comments:

Vikram said...

yes, some are ppl are strange that's what make them diff and easy to remember. I myself remember bunch of ppl who i remember by their strange ways, i don't even know their names.

NR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NR said...

Interesting stuff..something different liked it.This is with everyone Sormita...as a matter of fact u and me r also somewhat like that. Ya may be we may not be completely like that but u see its all about marketing yourself and making yourself feelimportant.
If you don't consider yourself important then its near to impossible to expect from others. Human beings are like this...want to be recognized. Whatever we some where we want to get recognized either by ourself or from others. Every actions wants to be seen as important.

ayurdharan said...

ha wat ever vikram said nd nazish said, i do agree. but i think u shudnt make oderz feel down, sorry to say sormita as yur frd said u a log head it shows his attitude turning into arrogance.
do visit my blog.

sormita said...

@vikram
Yes vikram-isnt it interesting dat we remember dese ppl atleast for smethin dey ve done.Dat smethin cn be +ve or -ve,dat hardly matters.
@Nazish
yes nazish-its abt ,marketing nd its all brand power-every1 is busy doing dat.
@True auyrdhan, at sme point of time in our lives we cme across situation wen situations make us realize how each occupation is important for us.

Randeep said...

Nowadays every people are like that.. I think its an ego problem or like that..Well, Im doing nothing. What should I say as my profession!!

sormita said...

@Randeep
If u r nt doing nethin-den i m ur colleague :D

Randeep said...

Ya sormita, about that Name work. It didnt come in the first time.. I kept doing it.. days weeks.. 1month.. One day It came in the first try.. :) try urs too..

sormita said...

sure randeep-i'll-but i wud like to try smethin different-u ve already tried dis-lemme try smethin different

Anonymous said...

this is certainly one of the most boring blogs I have come across

sormita said...

@thnx for ur criticism bikram,but its nt possible to appeasr everyone at the same time and ofcourse intellectuals like u are difficult to be moved by such commonplace blogs-but anyways thnax for reading evn though u find it boring

Mahul Bhattacharya said...

The receptionist is called the public relations officer.

Nice subtle feel good humor!
Good job.

Unknown said...

hey!yes we do tend to glorify our professions or for that matter anything we do!call it plain human psychology!won't say its a facade but yes each one of us wants to feel important and special,a little fancy name wouldn't hurt!

Mahesh Aadhya Kalal said...

hi Sormita.....its really a good one.I do go with your track.You did echo my perceptions. It sounds rational too. I was trying to put some stuff on the same topic in my blog too.I ll try to accentuate a bit with my perspectives and opinion....
Anyways, am adding ur blog.
keep writing....